Supplier name: HBXL Group Limited (incorporating House Builder XL Ltd)
Publication date: June 2023
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Emissions reduction targets
The business is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2035 at the latest. We will keep this date under review, bringing it forward if possible as our carbon reduction plans develop. We will also consider setting nearer-term targets for carbon reduction and will pay particularly close attention to the carbon intensity of the business so that any growth in the business is as carbon lean as possible.
Carbon Reduction Projects
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed:
- The business achieved Green Small Business Certification in June 2023, having developed an environmental policy and comprehensive action plan addressing all of the significant environmental impacts of the business.
- A hybrid working model has been adopted, significantly reducing emissions from commuting.
- Business travel has been minimised through extensive use of video-conferencing.
- We encourage staff use of sustainable transport modes, e.g. through provision of the Cycle 2 Work scheme.
- We recycle all paper, ink cartridges, cartons, cardboard, tins, glass and confidential waste.
- We ensure heating is switched off overnight and only comes on as necessary and that computers and other equipment are switched off overnight.
Planned Carbon Reduction Initiatives
Our environmental action plan commits us to the implementation of further measures which we anticipate will reduce the carbon intensity of the business, such as:
- Implementing a principled approach to business travel decisions in order to avoid unnecessary travel and to ensure that necessary travel is by the most sustainable means possible. We will adopt a criteria-based travel policy to ensure consistency in decision-making across the company.
- Facilitating access to low-emission vehicles for our employees.
- Working with our landlord to promote improved environmental performance of our premises.
- Providing guidance on environmental and carbon management to our staff.
- Ensuring environmentally responsible purchasing.
- Implementing a data retention policy to minimise emissions from cloud computing.
Our most significant role in improving the management of carbon emissions relates to the services we provide. We:
- provide solutions to house builders on good practice for improving the quality of new homes and their health and safety/environmental responsibilities.
- provide solutions to general builders on good practice for improving the quality of existing homes their health and safety/environmental responsibilities.
- support the continual improvement of the environmental performance of the UK’s housing.
Our environmental action plan commits us to maximising the positive environmental impacts of our services, both through:
- reviewing and extending the functionality of the environmental aspects of our software.
- seeking to raise the environmental awareness of our clients through our training and other educational content.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
 Whilst the business does operate from premises with gas-fired heating, data on usage has not been made available by the landlord. In the absence of landlord data, we applied the Typical Energy benchmark for air-conditioned offices from the 2020 Real Estate Environmental Benchmarks. This covers all energy and is expressed as an electricity equivalent so the Scope 2 figure below includes an allowance for emissions from gas use. There may have been some emissions from refrigerant gases used in air conditioning but no data on this was made available from our landlord so has been omitted.
 No physical production or manufacturing takes place so upstream transportation is negligible.
 Solid waste disposal was negligible and, whilst emissions from wastewater treatment were calculated, they were not large enough to register.
 Including emissions from Employee Teleworking
 Emissions associated with the use of our leased premises are included in Scope 1/2
 No physical products or materials are produced. Any minor expenditure on postal services is included in Category 1.